We conduct coating inspections in order to inspect structures/projects and monitor application processes that have to be performed in accordance with the prescribed coating specifications (procedures, inspection plan and paint engineering recommendation). We perform these inspections before, during and after the preservation activities. How often and when a paint inspection takes place – periodically or on request – is always discussed with the client beforehand.
All inspections, including tank linings, conventional paint systems, heat-resistant systems, fire retardant systems, zinc spray layers, TSA and heavy-duty premium systems for the maritime sector, are carried out by independent NACE coating inspectors at COATECT-PCN bv. They perform the inspections using advanced measuring equipment, taking account of the applicable statutory standards. Our coating inspectors are aware of the coating specifications in each sector: oil & gas, on & offshore, maritime, infrastructure, marine contracting and wind energy. They also have wide-ranging experience with recognised industrial standards, such as the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), the International Standard Organization (ISO) and the Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC).
THE MOST COMMON INSPECTIONS ARE
- status evaluations
- execution inspections
- delivery inspections
- warranty inspections
- repair inspections
CONDITION OF THE SUBSTRATE
- Base substrate (extent of rust) according to ISO 8501-1 A, B, C, D or the condition of the existing coating, hot-dip galvanised substrate, either aluminium or stainless steel.
- Evaluation of design in accordance with ISO 12944-3. Suitable for blast cleaning and coating work.
- Visual evaluation of the substrate: Coating suitability in accordance with ISO 8501-3.
- Visual evaluation of the substrate: Oil and grease in accordance with SSPC-SP 1.
- Presence of water-soluble contaminants (salts) in accordance with ISO 8502-2/6.
- Bresle test before starting work.
- Application conditions before/during pre-treatment in accordance with ISO 8502-4.
- Manual/mechanical de-rusting.
- Blast cleanliness in accordance with ISO 8501-1.
- Dust test in accordance with ISO 8502-3 (particle size and quantity).
- Blast roughness in accordance with ISO 8503-2 comparison.
- Blast roughness in accordance with ISO 8503-5 Press-O-Film Testex tape.
- Electronic Rz blast roughness in accordance with ISO 8503-4.
- Bresle test after pre-treatment. Water-soluble contaminants (salts) in accordance with ISO 8502-2/6.
- High-pressure water blasting.
- MEK test in accordance with ASTM D-4752.
- Dry coating thickness measurements in accordance with ISO 19840.
- Pore tests in accordance with NACE RP0188. Low-voltage (wet sponge) and high-voltage method in kV.
- Visual evaluation of the coating layer applied:
- Adhesion test in accordance with ISO 4624 (pull-off test).
- Adhesion test in accordance with ISO 2409 (cross-cut).
- Adhesion test in accordance with ASTM B3359 (X-cut).Performing Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) measurements.